Exemption approved for specific items undergoing composting certification
Today, the NRA has been informed that a time-limited exemption for specific items undergoing composting certification has been approved.
The supply of a prescribed plastic item is only exempt under this notice where that prescribed plastic item:
• has a current and valid EN13432 composting or TUV OK compost HOME certification; and
• has a current application before the Australasian Bioplastics Association (ABA) for its certification under the Australian composting standards AS4736:2006 or AS5810:2010 awaiting a determination.
The exemption only applies to:
- a cup made from plastic lined paperboard;
- a bowl made from plastic lined paperboard; or
- a food container made from plastic lined paperboard.
It does not apply to any other item.
The exemption applies from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023.
We understand that suppliers of items using this exemption must provide all purchasers (eg. retailers, community groups, distributors) with copies of certifications.
If you have any questions about this or other potential exemptions, please contact the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation at email@example.com
Want to receive updates, new business resources and details of information sessions?